Welcome to the NEW look James Gibson (Darwen) Online!
Having been in Darwen for 130 years, James Gibson Ironmongers Ltd are pleased to serve a growing number of local tradesmen, businesses and residents from many towns within Lancashire including Bolton, Blackburn, Barnoldswick, Accrington, Nelson, Burnley and Wigan.
Bolton Road 1884-1925
James Gibson Ironmongers Ltd originally started trading in Darwen in 1884 by a 24 year old James Gibson after being an Ironmongers assistant in Foundry Street for many years, forging iron goods tailored to local customers needs on the premises at Bolton Road.
The Green 1925-1994
In 1925 in advent of a more streamlined national supply of products ready for sale James Gibson Ironmongers Ltd moved up to a larger premises at the Provident Co-Operative Building on The Green, close to the centre of Darwen. It is currently unknown when the business was sold out of the Gibson family, maybe after James Gibson passed away in 1929 at the age of 62. Gibsons traded on The Green until in 1994 moved into 167-169 Duckworth Street on the A666.
Duckworth Street 1994-2006
The current Gibsons is in keeping with the past still being family owned. The current owners took over the business in 1996 to find very little stocked on the mostly empty shelves. Since then the business has grown by moving into many more lines to service our customers needs and requests. Over the years though one problem kept emerging day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year!! With the business growing at pace more room was needed not only on the shop floor, but also more storage space for all the stock. After converting the basements and the attic into stockrooms and filling up an empty commercial unit on John St with bulk deliveries, something had to give.
Wood Street 2006-Present
During late 2005 the search for new premises begun. It did not take long as the former Wardleys Printers building on Wood Street came onto the market and dispite it being up a hill (The Darweners worst enemy) was less than 400 yards away from the current premises and still located on the busy A666. Gibsons moved here easter 2006 and since moving to a larger shop (pictured above), we have been able to stock even more products than before and now boast a first floor showroom selling a wide range of fully compliant PPE, Workwear & Safety Footwear. Aswell as this we also have a range of Outdoor Clothing & Footwear.